Thursday 2 January 2014

another photo analysis

This is another photo I got recently, it was one of my favorites. I don't know why, but it's just so over the top; i was filming when it was taken, and it was this little old lady who seemed really like she was quite serious, and then suddenly, she saw the camera, immediately took it out of the bag and did this selfie and then ran away. This links into the whole selfie culture I have been talking about; the idea that selfies are personal and your own view of the world. But it also is a way, if you are on your own, of showing that you DID exist in the world. It's very common to hear people complaining that travelling alone means there are no photos of yourself- the selfie lets people pose and act as they want, and show everyone that they were there, did exist, etc etc This photo not only adheres to the dominant culture, but it also shows the idea of construction; its quite hard to look nice in a selfie, and a way to combat this is to pull a silly face, as this woman is doing. As soon as she does this, this connotes a whole new set of values; she can make fun of herself, she is a fun person, she has a good sense of humor. This combats the sense of alone-less which might be connoted by her being alone in a photo and taking a selfie.
The woman left very quickly after she took the photo, as though she wanted to get away- maybe out of embarrassment, I find this quite a contrast; people love to take photos and indeed want to be in photos very much, but once they admit to this two things, it becomes embarrassing. I guess this is because admitting to caring about how you look/if you exsist can be seen as vain, and i would be interested to see if other nations have the same reaction as British people on this.

THOUGHTS

-Was just thinking about all my locations. Basically, I chose places which were very popular, and this usually means I choose touristy places- the dome, the rad cam etc etc and i also was thinking that it is tourists who usually want to take photos, have the time to take photos and want to be in photos. I was wondering whether this is a bad thing; I might try and hang some cameras in more rural places and see if these contrast to the photos which might appear usually. This might mean less posing, though I am not sure. It also might be harder; if you live in a place, you might be more suspicious to foreign hanging objects than if you visit it for the first time. Tomorrow, I am goign to hang it in my local park, I think, and see if anyone uses it.

No comments:

Post a Comment