Monday 28 October 2013

Next stage

My next stage... to identify which group i am going to document.

I specifically want to document homeless or children. I have been researching places in Brighton or nearby which might be interested in helping. As i have, I realize (perhaps obviously) that getting people to participate is going to be difficult, as these groups are protected by CRB and the like. It will be hard to convince organisations to let an outsider in, and to take the photos, and put them on the internet. especially as I am a 3rd year. I'm not sure how long it will take to get an answer, but hopefully they will be OK with it, I am just making my introductory email really nice.

For instance:
dear Sir/Madam,
My name is Robyn Furtado, I am a photographer, and I am very interested in
the representation of homeless people in the news. I always make a point
of
talking to people on the street, and find them interesting and often
traumatic people, but find they are stigmatized in society, with exception
to the Big Issue. As a photographer, I have come up with an idea to try
and
change these attitudes. 
Therefore, I would like to make a photo project in which I would give
people on the street disposable cameras, and let them document themselves
and the lives they live. These could then be put in a gallery, or online,
or in the big issue as a case study on homeless lives within the UK, from
their own perspectives, with some written accounts/stories to follow. I
feel this might give more exposure to homeless people and give them a
voice, as the Big Issue does.
I was writing to see whether the you at the Big Issue have any thoughts
about this idea; if you think it would work,or how might be best to go
about this,or if you would like to collaborate on the project. I think
this
would be a good chance for more exposure for homeless issues.
Thank you for your time, I hope to hear from you soon,
Robyn Furtado

i have also been considering the first hand in (after christmas) I am going to ask a group of teenagers to document their christmas's. This could reflect family life and different versions/cultures etc could reflect each other, and could comment on what we think we should take photos of/family etc? I have access to these people and could write a lot on the subject, relating it to the bigger project. This seems like a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment