Wednesday 6 November 2013

ch-ch-changesssss Turn and face the change etc

I realize that my project isn't going very fast; I have not had many replies- most of the ones involving children directly refused, while some of the homeless charities sounded interested, but this has not led anywhere. For this, I need to get phoning and visiting the actual place- it's easier to actually talk to people than anything else. I will do this later.
I have, however, also been considering other ideas which I could do, if these ideas do not come to anything. Here are a few of these (they in the same theme as before, but different takes)

1) Use various teenagers/young people (ie- people I know) and get them to document their Christmas's, and compare these. (place, ethnicity, gender etc explored)
2) the first idea about place- getting a place to document itself- for instance Brighton.
3) Teenagers/young people to document lives on a single day- collect data together, try and reconstruct the feeling of youth.

These ideas are more social-experimental rather than hard-hitting social criticism, but because they are not with groups of minority or vulnerable people, these makes them much easier to do, and there is much less red tape to go through. I am happy to change if there needs to be- I think a lot of my previous work/reading fits into these ideas, though I would have liked to continue to make a shocking piece of work too. I will give these previous mentioned charities 2 weeks, and if they have not answered/are not interested, I will change the idea.

On a different note I found another lovely example of interactive photo documentary:

http://highrise.nfb.ca/thousandthtower/
http://interactive.nfb.ca/#/outmywindow

The first of these, the thousandth tower, documents the life of inhabitants in the "thousandth high rise tower" in Toronto. The city suburbs are often viewed as rough and on the edge, but the projects aims to revitalize these areas, and to tell their story- as a vibrant, growing part of the city, the most dynamic. The project shows inhabitants, who talk over photographs, telling us various stories and things about their lives and the life of the tower. You can explore the "story of each storey", and follow residents through their lives, showing how vibrant, creative and communal they are. I really liked how you get to talk to each resident, they get to show the photos and their own story; this is moving and takes you into their private space. This is awesome and goes beyond the normal photo documenatry.


The next is a collection of photos taken out of windows from places such as this highrise tower. It started out as a 360 photo from this, with the room and resident, and tried to capture young people from the towers. Later it spread to include the whole world. The photos are really interesting to get a personal view of someone private life-the insides of homes, their views, anything they want to show. It is also nice to see the differences between outside and in, suggesting a vibrant, unseen inside of such areas. Could I do something similar as these online? I have no idea how you would build, but it cant be really difficult. I might try and investigate building websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment