Saturday 16 November 2013

"Disposable Brighton"

What I’m doing today


Today what I did was that I put two disposable cameras in bags with a sign saying: 

"Instructions for use- 
1) Take camera out of the bag
2) Take a photo of yourself, the city, something you like. Wind the camera on.
3) Replace the camera.

Congratulations, you took part in Disposable Brighton"

here is a photo of this:


I left them in noticeable places, and collected them later, and each camera had been used fully! I am hoping that they expose properly. 

 This is going to be a project which will look at how people interact with cameras and being watched, with being asked to photograph themselves and what they do, (self representation) with street photography and opportunity. I have been thinking what theories I can link it to, and there are quite a few- the representation theories still work, because this is literal street photography; the city from the eyes of the people. I'm providing the method to create a puzzle of ideas, but it is the people who live/visit/interact who are the ones who will make it. This could be a massive project, with representations from a multiple number of people of all different gendes/ages/ethnicities etc- which will be quite interesting. It also links into theories about societies of control/ being watched and acting how you expect to act. 


I think I will collect photos of people simply, and also collect photos of people writing hopes on paper; I will try this one on monday on campus. Reaction to being recording/being part of something Brighton community. Online- interactive map? 

No comments:

Post a Comment